Red Wine Thymiopoulos Young Vines Xinomavro 2020. No need to decant but it is recommended to open it half an hour before service. Under the leadership of Apostolos Thymiopoulos and his wife Eleftheria, the vineyards of Thymiopoulos in Naoussa revolutionized the winemaking of Xinomavro, bringing this wonderful grape to fame. The south of Naoussa has a very complex geology (schist, limestone marl, and granite), favorable to the production of Xinomavro which reflects the differences of this micro terroir. The vineyards are biodynamically cultivated and different winemaking techniques are applied depending on the plot. This results in wines of exceptional quality. This wine comes from 10-year-old young vines of Xinomavro, in the Naoussa appellation. Aged for one year in vats and barrels, it is the ideal wine to get to know the region’s autochthonous red wines. it is a young wine that clearly expresses all the tone of the Xinomavro grape. Fragrant aromas of delicious red fruits such as strawberries and black currants appear on the nose, followed by aromatic herbs and an elegant vegetal character. On the palate, the wine shows a fresh acidity and a superb intensity of fruit, with a lot of personality and richness. The aftertaste is complex and long. Try it with grilled steak, coq au vin, spicy sausages, or medium-aged cheeses.
Red Wine Thymiopoulos Young Vines Xinomavro 2020
Red Wine Tinazzi Vinum Italicum No. 3 Opera 2020. The family-run Cantina Tinazzi dates back to 1968 when the winery was founded in Cavaion Veronese. By 1984 the Tinazzis were already exporting their wines abroad and in 1986 they purchased their family estate, Tenuta Valleselle, in Bardolino. In recent years the family have continued to expand and acquire estates in other Italian regions, including Feudro Croce in Puglia and Poderi Campopian in Sant’Ambrogio Di Valpolicella. Opera No. 3 is a dark and handsome red made in the typical Tinazzi style with plenty of intense black fruit peppered with hints of sweet spice, dark chocolate and bitter licorice. The wine is composed of Corvina, Primitivo and Nero d’Avola grapes which are gently pressed and destemmed before vinification. The fruit is then macerated and fermented over 10-15 days before being aged in oak barrels. The result is an easy-drinking, fruit forward red which opens with rich cassis, black cherry and plum notes along with hints of cigar box spice and woodsmoke. The first sip reveals a generous full body and firm tannins along with a smooth texture and long finish. Great to drink with hearty red meat dishes like steak, beef stews or venison and with tomato-based pasta dishes.
Red Wine Tunella Cabernet Sauvignon 2020. It is recommended to decant it for half an hour. The history of La Tunella begins in the 1960s with grandfather Min and father Livio and continues today with Massimo and Marco Zorzettig, custodians of over 50 years of family history. Of the 70 hectares owned, 70% is dedicated to whites and the remaining 30% to reds, with a share that fully reflects the tradition of the Colli Orientali del Friuli. The vineyards, scattered in about ten plots on the Premariacco hills, on the border with the Bosco Romagno, testify to a landscape of rare beauty and charm, with enviable exposures and roots well rooted in the Ponca, which guarantees health, the right amount of water and, consequently, excellent quality. The wine is the result of the pure vinification of Cabernet Sauvignon grapes, coming from vineyards grown in the areas of Ipplis and Cividale del Friuli, where this French grape is widespread. After the harvest, carried out in the last week of September, grapes are de-stemmed and crushed. The must ferments in steel in contact with the skins, and the wine is then aged in French oak barrels. The result is a particularly soft and elegant red, with excellent structure and long persistence. It has an intense ruby color, and on the nose it expresses the characteristic aromas of Cabernet Sauvignon: hints of plum jam, blueberries, blackberries and spicy notes of black pepper. It is the perfect wine for grilled red meat and lamb.