Red Wine Cline Cabernet Sauvignon 2018. The Cline family are trailblazing a more sustainable and environmentally-friendly future for California’s wine industry. Their 350 acre farm has over 2000 sheep and goats who keep down weeds between the vines and they also have an impressive solar panel system which powers the entire winery. Thanks to their efforts the estate is a Certified California Sustainable Vineyard and Winery and has built a reputation for creating delicious and approachable examples of California’s classic grape varieties. This classic Cabernet is made with estate fruit from six vineyards in southern California, with 70% of the fruit coming from Sonoma and the remaining 30% from Contra Costa County. The cool climate here helps to create a remarkably balanced and elegant wine, with the natural power and firm tannins of the Cabernet harmonised by a bright streak of acidity. On the nose there are enticing notes of Morello cherry, cassis, and crushed ripe plums. The generous full body is complemented by a smooth texture and very long finish seasoned with cigar box spice, woodsmoke and hints of toast from the oak ageing. Pair with hearty dishes like grilled portobello mushrooms or a fine steak with french fries.
Red Wine Cline Cabernet Sauvignon 2018
Red Wine Clos de Gat Har’el Cabernet Sauvignon 2018. Decant 1 hour before serving. Wine was first made on the Clos de Gat property at least 3000 years ago when the winepress or gat” that gives the estate its name was constructed here. The modern day winery was founded here in 1998 by local winemaker Eyal Rotem and the Bordeaux wine merchant Maison Sichel. Today the property has 19 hectares of vineyards in the Ayalon Valley in Israel’s Judean Mountains where they specialise in producing delicious Mediterranean wines from international grape varieties. This robust Cabernet Sauvignon is crafted from selected grapes grown on top quality limestone soils. Eyal uses wild yeasts naturally found in the winery to carry out the fermentation to preserve the natural character of the grapes and ages his red wines in oak barrels he imports directly from France. His Cabernet Sauvignon is aged in oak for 12 months and is bottled without filtering. Rich cassis, black cherry and plum notes characterise the nose while the first sip reveals a generous full body, smooth texture and firm tannins which will respond well to additional cellaring. On the palate there are subtle hints of Mediterranean herbs as well as cigar box and woodsmoke from the maturation in oak.
Red Wine Clos de Luz Massal 1945 Carmenere 2018. Clos de Luz is a family-run winery that boasts some of Chile’s finest and oldest Carmenere vineyards. The winery was founded in 1892 by the great-grandfather of the current owner in the stunning Almahue Valley some 70 miles southeast of Santiago. The estate now has some 33 acres of vineyards including some very old Carmenere planted in 1945. To maintain quality and consistency all of the fruit is harvested by hand and the vines are farmed sustainably wherever possible. Once in the winery the fruit is strictly selected and fermented with indigenous yeasts. Maturation takes place in a combination of 7000 litre casks, small French oak barrels, and some 600 litre French barrels. The family relies on the cold winters to help stabilise the wine without any need for chemical additives. On the nose there are heady notes of cassis and blackberry while the first sip reveals ripe plums, and hints of cedar from the oak ageing. The tannins and alcohol are well-integrated with a solid structure that will benefit from a few more years in the cellar. It is also ideal to serve now alongside duck, tomato-based pasta dishes, or a generous platter of charcuterie and hard cheeses.